Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) of Boston, Massachusetts, is a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School and a leading recipient of biomedical research funding from the National Institutes of Health. The hospital receives nearly 700,000 patient visits per year and manages a $250 million research portfolio.
To support this very busy healthcare facility, BIDMC IT has ongoing needs to improve processes and deliver against ever-tightening privacy and speed requirements. The hospital’s mainframe houses its billing systems databases and is maintained by a staff of two database administrators and five billing system programmers. To have its medical billing systems updated and available by 7 a.m. each morning, the team needed a software solution that would enable them to complete maintenance and upgrades routinely, reliably, and quickly. Their previous software had been failing to meet that target.
BIDMC chose BMC Data Management for IMS™ on z/OS® because of its specific capabilities, its ease of use and efficiency, and its competitive cost. With a combination of some of BMC’s most versatile mainframe management products, including BMC Backup and Recovery Solutions for IMS™, MAXM Reorg/EP for IMS™, MainView SRM Allocation, and Pointer Checker Plus, BIDMC IT has been able to drive operational efficiencies and exceed its customer SLAs.
Since implementing the BMC solutions, BIDMC IT has been able to exceed its 7 a.m. SLA up to 3 hours and meet its needs for database image copy and recovery, monitoring database growth, allocating direct access storage device (DASD) volumes, and isolating issues with its DL/I databases.
- With BMC Backup and Recovery Solutions for IMS, the team can image copy 15 or more databases concurrently, as well as image copying 15 sets of archived databases as needed.
- Point-in-time recovery capability gives the team reassurance that they can recover any and all databases to specific times just by coding to key parameters on the job.
- The tool’s GUI allows easy monitoring of database growth and includes valuable tools that add ongoing flexibility.
- The team can image copy its mix of 30 large and small online databases in approximately 10 minutes.
- Its 15 sets of archived databases take under 90 minutes to image copy.
- All of BIDMC’s DASD volumes are allocated with MainView SRM in multiple pools, divided into test and production, avoiding any batch DASD allocation issues.